We prosecute employers via class action lawsuits for unpaid wages, unpaid overtime, improper employee classification and improper wage or commission deductions. Wage and hour rules are governed by the California Labor Code and the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act. Employers often violate three categories of the wage and hour requirements. Some of the common causes of wage and hour violations include:
- Employees are misclassified as “exempt” from receiving overtime pay
- Employees are not provided an uninterrupted meal break within the first five hours of work
- Employers fail to provide ten minute breaks for every three and one-half hours of work
- Employers fail to provide a second meal break for shifts longer than ten hours
- Employers fail to provide proper pay stubs with all required information
We also assist clients to achieve compliance with the minimum wage, overtime and record-keeping requirements of all federal and state wage and hour and prevailing wage laws. We also assist clients in complying with state wage payment laws involving vacation pay, deductions, and commissions. We conduct preventive audits of our clients’ compliance with these laws as well as represent our clients in investigations conducted by the United States Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division and the California Department of Labor Standards Enforcement as well as other similar state agencies. We also prosecute and defend prevailing wage claims as well as wage and hour lawsuits in court, including class actions.